Marie Guthrie Ford - Peters Genealogy Page

Peters Genealogy Page


Mary Guthrie FORD

(known as Marie Richards)

22 December 1892 to 19/03/1962

Jack and Marie at Government House

Marie Richards and John Alwyn Richards at Government House Bardon

Marie and Jack Richards

Marie and Jack Richards

Alice Matthews and Marie Richards

Alice Matthews and Marie Richards

Timetable of the events in her lifetime.

Born: 22/12/1892 Terranora (Piggabeen) NSW
Born: 13/07/1895 Half Sister (or full?) Eva BRADY
Born: 26/09/1896 Half Brother Charles H Brady
Born: 02/27/04 Half Brother John Alexander PAGE
Born: 07/11/05 Half Brother Thomas Henry PAGE
Born: 05/15/07 Half Brother George PAGE
Marriage: 09/12/07 Step Father John PAGE to Ellen Jane Ford
Death: 07/17/08 Mother Ellen Jane PAGE
Burial: 07/18/08 Mother Ellen Jane PAGE (St Brisbane Cemetery - Dutton Park Lot . 218 Portion 6
Birth: 09/25/10 Son - John Alexander FORD
Adoption: May, 1911 John Alexander FORD
Death: 07/07/11 John Alexander FORD (9 Months)
Burial: 07/08/11 John Alexander FORD Buried with Ellen Jane PAGE(King))
Married: 04/24/12 William Henry GRALTON (Snr.)
Birth: 10/30/12 William Henry GRALTON (Jnr.)
Birth: 03/01/15 Zena May WinIfred GRALTON
Birth: 12/31/18 Ronald John Marcus GRALTON
Birth: 08/02/20 Owen Atkins Silvester GRALTON
Death: 08/13/26 William Henry GRALTON (Snr.) (38)
Married: 07/23/27 John Alwyn RICHARDS
Died: 03/11/54 John Alwyn RICHARDS
Died: 03/19/62 Marie Guthrie RICHARDS (Aged 69 Years)

Marie was named Mary Guthrie Ford by her father George Ford after his mother in Scotland who's maiden name was Jane Guthrie.

In October 2004 I found the location of the grave of Marie's first son, John Alexander FORD and Marie's Mother, Ellen Jane PAGE at the Dutton Park Cemetery. It is an unmarked turf plot. The lot number is 218 in section 6 but you may not find it without an aerial printout from the Brisbane City Council web site. You will need a close up photo to see the exact spot and grave number 217 is that of Elen Casson and it is immediately to the left if you look directly at the tombstone with the sheds also in front of you to the right. Not far away is the 'In Memory of the Gralton Family' Monument. This monument is for members of the John Gralton family who was a son of Henry Gralton. Our line comes from his brother Alfred Gralton. It is well worth a look.

After visiting the grave of Great Grandmother PAGE at Dutton Park I had a feeling I had been there as a very young child with Marie. I think we arrived by tram and I think she was the only one who knew who was buried there or its exact location.

According to a letter from the Queensland Department of Families, Youth and Community Care to my sister Mary Richards dated February 22, 1999 Marie had put her baby, John Alexander Ford, up for adoption in May 1911. It was the adoptive parents who brought the sick baby to the Brisbane Bowen Hospital where he died aged 9 months. It had taken five years to October 2004 to obtain a death certificate showing the name of the baby. Armed with that information from Mary I was able to find the grave of John Alexander FORD and Marie's mother Ellen Jane Page who was buried in the same plot some three years before (1908). In 1915 Margaret PAGE was buried in the same plot and she was John Page's mother (Margaret Smith). The records show that Margaret's father was James Smith and her Mother was called Livingston and the Queensland BDM reference is 15/B020863. Margaret died on March 4 1915.

Marie's name was FORD and her baby was called that also. Ellen and John PAGE had a least three children between 1904 and 1907 and Marie gave stepfather John Page's address as Lincoln Street, Stones Corner. Prior to that Ellen lived at Broadmere Estate Ipswich Road Junction and Qualtrough Street, Woolloongabba. Ipswich Road Junction is where the trams from Boggo Road met at Ipswich Road Annerley. Boggo Road is now known as Annerley Road and you may know the nearby Annerley Hotel now called 'The Muddy Farmer'.

The name Boggo is a corruption of Bolgo and was changed to Annerley Road in honor of the Hon. D.F. Denham, the Premier of Queensland at that time, as it was his birthplace in England.

Marie was also known as PAGE and Marie used the name after she had her first baby John Alexander FORD. PAGE was the name of her stepfather John Page. John Page was born Dundee Scotland. John Alexander Page was Marie's half brother born 27/02/1904.

After Ellen Jane PAGE died in 1908 Eva (about 13) became a neglected child and was eventually sent to the Industrial School at St Vincent's Orphanage. Eva was there from May 25 1909 to May 24 1914. It was exactly five years before she was allowed to leave and she would have been 18.

Charles Henry Brady joined the Navy in Sydney in 1912 and signed up for seven years.

Ellen Thelma Hanscomb remembers running into Charles Henry Brady when she was about 30 in Annerley Road near the Hotel he managed called the Redbrick Hotel. It is now known as the Burke Hotel and was established in 1890.

From 1912 Marie and her husband William Henry GRALTON lived at Bridge Street, Breakfast Creek. Dad and the other three children attended a State School in the area and it was near the Breakfast Creek Hotel. Marie's house was near the 'josh house' in Higgs Street. I recall brother Robert Henry Richards worked in that street for many years as a manager of an electrical wholesaler. Marie and family later moved to 225 Water Street, Fortitude Valley and the house still stand today. It is not far from Love Street where I parked my car most working day from 1964 to 1970 while working for Public Accountant Francis Patrick Malone of F.P. Malone & Co, however I was unaware of the existence of the house at that time.

According to oral history in the period 1919 to 1926 Marie was living with Christopher Toms (b. 1893 d.1958) and then a detective and then Jack Alwyn Richards. Jack was originally from Gympie. Dorothy Gralton (William Henry Gralton's sister) was looking after the four children, Bill, Zena, Ron and Owen. On 13 August 1926 William Henry Gralton died while living at Bridge Street and Marie returned to Water Street and sent the children to Injune or Roma to hide them from the Gralton family. It may have been a property called 'Hillside' at Guinewin Via Roma. It was most likely with her half brother Charles Henry BRADY.

(on 05/09/1923 Marie Gralton and Christopher Toms were witnesses to the marriage of her half brother Charles Henry Brady and Alice Beatrice SIDNEY.)

Dorothy Gralton continued to live at 225 Water Street and on 31 December 1926 married James Wilson. Their first child, Ilma Wilson was born there in 1931 and I visited her at her home in Chermside on several occasion in 2006 and obtained information about that side of the family.

At the time of their fathers death in 1926: -

William Henry was 13

Zena May Winifred 11

Ronald John Marcus 8

Owen Atkins Silvester 6

When they did return in 1927 Marie moved to Carter Street, Northgate. Northgate East was once known as Oates Estate after the developer of that area and was then named Northgate, which meant "enterance" or "door" to the city. Water was connected in 1912 and when power was supplied to the district about 1924 and Automatic telephones introduced in July 1926 it looked like an ideal place to live away from the city. There was also a railway to Toombul and Northgate.

I visited Carter Street a few years ago and photographed the house and what was the old bakery. On a recent visit the old bake house was gone and there are two house's in the very front of that block.

Marie married Jack Richards July 23, 1927.

It is known that Jack Richards and Marie together with William Henry operated an S.P. betting operation from the bake house at Carter Street. There were eight phone lines and on Saturdays the phones rang all day and a number of ladies were employed to man them. It is possible that Maude Fulton and Nora McGovern were there for that purpose.

It was in June of 1949 that an accident occurred in Sandgate Road at Boondall at 5.10 p.m. one Saturday evening. Inside was Dad and Mum and Billy Brian and myself. Brian was aged 11 months so that sets the date.

Between 1948 and 1950 Zena would look after Billy, Brian and myself while the races were on.

There was ever the danger of being raided by the licensing squad. It was said that it was at that time the second biggest operation of its kind in Queensland.

It was Desmond's weekly job to pay a one hundred pound note to a certain man who name was (x) and he was later to become a high ranking policeman. That same person advised in advance when a raid was to take place. The operation was moved from the bake house to the more secure house after iron bars were placed in the windows etc.

The bake house was maintained as a "front" in case of a raid however, there was a party line to relay the calls to the house

The business was conducted in the veranda on the driveway side of the house and if there was a raid then the bets were flushed down the toilet.

It has been said that Des was often in trouble with the law and Marie, in her wisdom, approached Mr. B and arranged for someone to give Des a flogging. I don't know if this was successful in modifying Des's behavior but Marie was in some trouble with Vivian for her actions.

I know that Dad was very careful when we were children and after he had been busted for SP betting several times he gave it away and continued with legal bookmaking which was his profession.

At Carter Street Northgate there were three blocks of land. One for the house and one for the bake house and another had a garden and a cow which required milking daily. It is not confirmed if this was the cow that Pop gave to the Sisters at the Holy Spirit Home at Carseldine.

Email from Mary

"Dear Peter

This is what I wrote today

Marie & John Alwyn Richards (Pop Richards) had a close relationship with the Holy Spirit Hospital and nuns during the early years of setting up their Covent nursing home at Carseldine. Sister Eunan the other day, and she is 96 (14 Dec 2004), told Patrick Richards about the cow Pop Richards gave them when they first came to the farm at Carseldine in 1945. He also had a car in the days when there were not too many around and he would drive the nuns into town to the hospital on Wickham Tce. (I think )They would drop special church laundry off in Woolowin at the Holy Cross Laundry. I don't think there were any buses.

"The Holy Spirit Sisters came to Brisbane, Australia, in 1944, refugees from the war in Papua New Guinea, where many lost their lives. In 1945 they obtained a farm property in Aspley (now Carseldine) and established themselves there. In 1946 they purchased the old Lister Private Hospital on Wickham Terrace, Central Brisbane, and set up Holy Spirit Hospital. In 1962 they opened Holy Spirit Home at Carseldine" (extract from web site).

Marie was in & out of Holy Spirit Hospital for over 20 years with ? angina episodes. It was some times said that Marie feigned this episodes when she wanted more attention, but this is difficult to say if this was true or not. She was treated with special care and given the same room if available and the nuns kept Marie's shelly tea cup & saucer in the kitchen for her as she disliked the thick hospital cups. The nurses remember her well and all refer to her as Grandma Richards. Her favorite nurse in the late 1950 and early 1960's was a nurse called Honey. She ruled over the nurses from her hospital bed. In later years the hospital gave her a hospital bed for use in her home (with her son William Henry Richards at 30 Donkin Street Scarborough). She used this bed until her death.

That's all for now Love M & M"

The Penguin Cafe on Bruny 710 Adventure Bay Road Bruny Island TAS 7150

ph: 03 6293 1352

The following is written by Hazel daughter of Zena.

"6th Child Ellen Jane KING and Father George FORD


Marie was the starting point for tracing this family's history "Marie was one of the children of Ellen Jane KING." It all started back in the late 1970's and early 1980's when Wally & Zena Bradburne tried to find Zena's mother, Marie's birth certificate. They knew that she was born at Piggabeen NSW. Wally tired for a number of years sending to Birth Deaths and Marriages' NSW and QLD. requesting a birth certificate under FORD and then Brady who was Marie's sister's name. Because she was actually registered under MARY no trace was found until in 2005, when through the internet search in NSW you can actually see the names on the registration list, and it was picked up her name was Mary Guthrie FORD born one year earlier than we thought. Because of :"GUTHRIE" being an unusual name it had to match. Up until now family members knew Marie had an older sister Bertha and younger sister and brother Eva and Charlie Brady. Now we have found out in fact there were 11 children and Marie's mother died from pregnancy complication with another child.

Marie Guthrie Richards was my grandmother. Like everyone's grandmother you have fond memories, but Marie could be very demanding and would cut you down very quickly. As the saying goes Marie had "Champagne taste on a beer budget".

My later memories of Grandma are that she spent her time between Scarborough at Uncle Bill's and the Holy Spirit Hospital in Wickham Terrace and occasionally staying with us at 208 Toombul Road Northgate for short times.

Marie use to live with us from when I was born until the mid 1950's when she went to Scarborough to live permanently. She spent quite a lot of time in hospital. She suffered from hight blood pressure and hypertension. Sister Eunan now 97 still remembers as a new nun at the Holy Spirit Hospital, first meeting Marie when she entered her room she asked "Good morning Mrs. Richards. How are you today?' and Marie's replied "I can't comb my hair!" ….. this was Grandma. She didn't like hospital food too much and had a friend at Finnies so Marie would get food sent up to her at the hospital. Pop and Bill Richards were very good to the nun's at the hospital driving them about, taking them shopping and giving generous donations. I had three occasions to be in the Holy Spirit Hospital for operations and was given special treatment as I was "Marie Richard's granddaughter" on one occasion Grandma had a strawberry cream cake sent up from Finnies for our morning and afternoon teas.

Marie had the ability to make you on edge most of the time - she could cut you down very quickly with only a few words like on one occasion while visiting her sister Bertha - Bertha mentioned that "I only use this tea service (a Wedgwood one) for special people and on special occasions" Marie replied "I don't know why, it is an ugly tea service and not very nice to drink out of" >>>>> this was my Grandmother Marie

6th Child Ellen Jane KING and Father George FORD

Marie was Ellen Jane KING's sixth child. Her father was (registered as) George FORD. She was registered on her birth certificate as Mary Guthrie FORD. Born 22 December 1892. This was 12 months before Marie had given as her year of birth and her name was Mary not Marie

Mary (Know as Marie) was born 22 Dec 1892 at Piggabeen NSW where George FORD had a 160 acre dairy farm known as "Paxton Villa " farm Piggabeen on the Tweed River. This farm was named after where George was born Paxton in Berwick Scotland. Mary Guthrie FORDS' birth was registered 17 January 1893 by George FORD. George's mother was Jane GUTHRIE so Marie had been given her surname as her second name. Sometime after January 1893. Ellen's husband George FORD returned to Scotland with three of Ellen's children Jane, John & Cecilia. Ellen's first born Bertha and Marie stayed with their mother. We have now been informed by Cecilia's descendants that Cecilia had been told that her mother died giving birth to her and the family returned to Scotland to be bought up by George's sister in Scotland. Some time after Marie's birth Ellen was with Charles Brady a stockman from the Tweed Rivers. If it was implied that Charles Brady was Marie 's father >>> was this why George Ford returned to Scotland with three of the children? >>> was Marie's birth father revealed after George had registered Marie's birth.? Questions we may never know why George and some children returned to Scotland telling the children that Ellen had died and Bertha and Marie stay in Australia with their mother Ellen.

Marie mother Ellen, three years later had another daughter Eva in 1895 with Charles BRADY and a son Charles in 1896. Ellen and Charles BRADY were living at the Broadmere Estate Ipswich Road Junction Brisbane when Eva and Charles were born. Ellen had Bertha and Marie with here. Like most of Ellen's children they spent some time in an orphanage. It May have been while their mother Ellen was pregnant and giving birth to other children.

Marie was only 16 year old when her mother Ellen died in July 1908. By then Ellen had married again to John PAGE and had another three more children. The first born in 1904, then 1905 and 1907, so we assume all the children Bertha, Marie, Eva, Charlie and the three Page boys were all living together in Qualtrough Street Woolloongabba. Bertha nursed her mother during her last few months in Qualtrough St. until her death. Her death certificate say she had been ill for 5 months and pregnant with another child..

After Ellen's death, in 1908 although living with the PAGE family, Ellen's daughters Bertha, Marie and Eva and son Charlie would have had to bring themselves up. By 1909 Bertha who was 8 years older than Marie had married Ernest COATES 9th October 1909. Eva had run away from the Brady family at the Tweed where Eva was sent to be raised by her father's sister Eva. Consequently was sent to the Industrial School attached to the Nudgee orphanage for 5 years as a neglected child with no parents. Charlie was in the orphanage?

Marie aged 17 had a baby John Alexander FORD born 25 September 1910. Information from Dept Families, Youth and Community Care states after the birth, Marie and baby were sent to the infant's home in Turbot Street Brisbane but they left and by March 1911. Marie then had gone to live with her step father John PAGE at Lincoln St Stones Corner. By April Marie had place the baby in a nursing home and registered her surname under PAGE not FORD. Reason being, Marie stated "she was know better by her stepfather's name Page and not Ford". Marie's Baby was adopted in May 1911 , but the adopted parents bought the sick baby to Brisbane Bowen Hospital where he died aged 9 months on 8 July 1911. This baby is buried in the same grave with Marie's mother Ellen Jane PAGE.

An elderly gentleman in his eighties from Geebung contacted Don Richards towards the end of the 1990's trying to trace his mother's family. He had been adopted and gone through the adoption department who had given him the information that Marie was his mother and she had children Bill, Zena, Ron and Owen . He said that he was Marie's son born 1911 a year younger than Bill. None of this information has been followed up with.

Marie married in 24 April 1912 to William Henry GRALTON and they lived at Bridge Street Breakfast Creek. William (Bill ) was a fruiterer and they had four children. William Henry born 30 October 1912, Zena May Winifred 1 March 1915, Ronald John Marcus 31 December 1918 and Owen Atkins Silvester 2 August 1920. The children were born at home in Bridge Street Breakfast Creek not far from the "josh house " near the Breakfast Creek Hotel.

This photo of Zena taken in 1917 aged 2 sent to Grandma Gralton. When Zena was 4 she was hit in the head with a hammer by a friend while playing, which damaged her ear and had numerous operations on her ear up until the mid 1960's. She had 20 operation by the time she was 20 years old.

These photos were taken at St Helen's Hospital South Brisbane looking back across the Brisbane River at the city of Brisbane. Photo taken 1921 with Nurse, Zena about 6 years old, Marie and Owen as a baby. Other photos taken at different time when Zena had other ear operations.

Marie's Husband died 13 August 1926 aged 34 years from a heart attack and pneumonia. At this time Marie had left Bill GRALTON and was living in Water St Fortitude Valley. They had been separated for a few years. Marie was first with Chris Toms who eventually returned to his wife, then a detective and lastly Jack Richards. Bill was 13, Zena 11, Ron 8 and Owen 6. The children were being looked after by Bill Gralton's sister Winifred. On hearing of her husband's death Marie returned to their Bridge Street home and evicted her sister in-law Winifred from the home.

Shortly after their father's death Marie took the children to a relative at Injune . Zena said that they went on the train to Roma and from Roma by covered wagon to a property near Injune. We have since found out that Marie's half brother Charlie Brady live at "Hillside" Guinewin 20km from Injune and about 69km to Roma where Charlie was managing a pub. Zena believed that she and her brothers were sent away so that the GRALTON family could not find the children. Not sure how long they were at Injune. When they returned to Brisbane the family lived with Marie and Jack Richards at Water Street Fortitude Valley.

The children attended Breakfast Creek school and when they moved to Water Street Fortitude Valley after their father died in 1926 they attended a school up on St Paul's Terrace. This photo of Ron and Zena at this school. Ron and Owen continued their education at St Joseph's Convent Corpus Christi Church at Nundah when they moved to Carter Street Northgate.

Eleven months after Bill Gralton's death Marie married John Alwyn RICHARDS (known as Pop) on 23 July 1927. With mounting unpaid bills the family moved during the night from Water Street Fortitude Valley to Carter Street Northgate. In 1927 there were not many houses between Northgate Station and Carter Street with only a few houses actually in Cater Street. Lots of vacant grass allotments. Bill was 14, Zena 12, Ron 9 and Owen 7 when they moved.

The house was simular to a housing commission house today. It would have been very modern for its day. Northgate was along way out in the suburbs in those days with most people living close to the city central. The Carter Street house was a high set house, across the back of the house was the large breakfast room with a long dining room table, This table was always set with starched white damask linen cloths, which Zena's daughter Hazel has today. Silver napkin rings and linen table napkins. As children they were not allowed to eat beetroot and have tea or coffee before they turned 14 in case they spilt it on the white linen table clothes.

Marie use to entertain and Zena was treated as her maid. Doing all the cleaning, cooking, polishing and the cleaning even extended to having polish the outside garden brass taps every week. Marie would invite people over for a dinner party and Zena would have to clean up before she was allowed to go out that night. This usually meant she had to walked to Nundah to a dance or to the pictures. Zena related the story that she had all her teeth removed on the breakfast table when young and got false teeth. The kitchen was in the centre of the house with floor to ceiling cupboards. There were two bedrooms also in the centre with other bedrooms along the outside. The other side of the house had two adjoining parlour / lounge rooms with a sun room at the front entry, these rooms were always full of large flower arrangements for which Marie had a great talent. Marie had nice gardens with prize winning pink dahlias and bird of paradise flowers. Marie won prizes for her pink dahlias and a brass rose bowl was one of there prizes. Hazel her granddaughter still has this vase. The dahlia were grown down the back on stakes in numerous garden beds

Under the house next to the back steps was a bush house. In the back yard was a large wash house with a long slatted wooden table about 3 meters long for all the washing to be put on, and a large cooper boiler at the rear. Bertha's sister-in -law Mrs Coates lived at Northgate and came to do the laundry for Marie. There were also stables and a hen house. Under the house a flatette was built with a kitchen, bathroom one bedroom.

In 1937 Bill, Zena and Wally Bradburne started "Richards & Bradburne Pastry Cooks" They open a Café in Station Road Nundah. Wally was living at the bottom pub at Nundah at this time and Wally& Bill did the cooking for the café. They then branched into wholesaling of cakes into shops and businesses in the city of Brisbane. The café moved from Station Road to Sandgate Road Nundah only a short distance away.

A bakehouse was built on the allotment next to the house in Carter Street where all the cooking was done. It had cement floor with large ovens. When Wally enlisted into the Air Force in July 1941 they sold the Café, but continued with the wholesaling side of the business. Ron Richards (no relation) was the trained baker who then worked for them doing the baking. Pop and Bill were doing the deliveries to the shops with the cakes etc. Marie's granddaughter Pat Richards still remembers to this day the smell as a small child going into the bake house. Running in and asking for "kisses" but Pop kept kissing her-she was protesting Kisses!, Kisses! meaning kisses biscuits. Pat and brother Des remembers the large vats with cake mixtures and containers of mixed fruits etc."

The entry into the bake house was by the side gate at the back steps of the house. A cow was kept in the bakehouse yard and had to be milked daily. The allotment the other side of the bakehouse was were the vegetable and strawberry gardens were. Bill enlisted into the Army December 1941 and Marie and Pop continued with the bakehouse with the help of a number of ladies. The photo's below are of Zena in the Café and Wally at the bakehouse.

It was around this time Pop started up his SP bookmaking working out of the bakehouse. The telephones were in the bakehouse taking the bets. The bake house shut down as the SP betting operation grew. They just shut the doors and week after the 40 hour week for workers was introduced in Queensland.

Bill, Ron and Owen had their names changed from Gralton by deed poll to Pop's name "Richards". Zena's name stayed Gralton as Marie would not pay the money saying it would change when she married. On Zena's marriage certificate it is written - Zena May Winifred GRALTON known as Zena May Winifred RICHARDS

Owen joined the Australian Navy in 2 September 1939 and this studio photo of the family was taken. Owen was later in the Merchant Navy supplying troops with arms and supplies, The Merchant Navy were unarmed.

Bill joined the Australian Army 29 December 1941. He served in New Guinea with 2nd 25th Battalion. He was severely wounded in the stomach, back and arm on the 13th September 1943. Resulting form this he was awarded the Military Medal. Bill was discharged on 15 February 1945. Marie & Pop were invited to Government House on 20th November 1946 to see Bill presented with his medal for Honour and Gallantry.

Ron was working for Bill Moffatt erecting air raid shelters then in Northern Queensland building air raid shelters. His wife Vivian and children Des and Pat were sent to live with relatives in Longreach as the Government asked people to move away from Brisbane if they had relatives out west in case of an invasion.

Wally who was to become Zena's husband in July 1942 joined the Australian Air Force in July 1941. This is when the Café was sold at Nundah.

Pop RICHARDS operated an S.P. betting operation firstly from the bakehouse. There were 8 telephone lines set up to take bets which rang non stop. They employed a number of women to work the phones each Saturday. They then shifted the business into their home next door. This was set up on the veranda, the driveway side with a party line telephone system sending the bets from the bake house over to the house. They had bars put on the windows in the house as there was always the danger of being raided by the licensing squad. When a raid was on they had to flush all the bets down the toilet. At one stage it was believed that the SP operation was the 2nd largest in Queensland. Bill was involved with the S.P. betting operations and after they had been busted several times, Bill gave S.P. betting away and continued with legal bookmaking which became his profession.


The Courier-Mail Tuesday 8 April 1952, page 6

Marie's Grandson says it was his job on a Monday to pay the police money so they would not be raided. He said he use to pay 100 pound to (Suppressed) who went on to be (Suppressed) . When a raid was to happen they would be tipped off before hand by the police. In the late 40's this was a lot of money. Not a lot of people would have even seen a 100 pound note.

100 Pound Note

RBA Image 100 Pound Note

Two Grandmothers

Corrumbin visit with Alice Matthews and Marie Richards

Bill and his wife Jean with the children Bill, Peter and Brian were still living with Marie & Pop at Carter Street, so Marie's daughter Zena use to walk from her Virginia home every Saturday to help look after the children while the S.P. business was operating. Bill and Jean moved from Carter Street to a rented house in Mein Street Scarborough when Jean was pregnant with the twins in 1950.

Zena and Wally were living in the flat under the house in Carter Street. Bill's older two boys Billy & Peter both came and lived with Wally and Zena in the flat for a few weeks at a time in the early 1950's. They were still living there when Zena's daughter Hazel was born in 1951.

(We took turns.)

Marie and Pop lived at Carter Street until Pop died on 11th March 1954 from a heart attack. It was decided between Bill, Marie's son and Wally her son in-law that Bill would pay off all Pop and Marie debts and Wally and Zena, would look after Marie. She live there until Toombul Road house was completed and then Marie's son Ron his wife Vivian and Children Des, Pat, twins Michael and Rhonda moved from their rented house in Towers Street Ascot into Carter Street Northgate . They rented this house from Marie and eventually bought the house.

Marie stayed with her daughter Zena and husband Wally in Toombul Road Northgate for sometime. Until Marie decided she didn't like Wally's straightforward speaking - like when Marie use to go into town all day, coming home and go to bed expecting Zena to give her dinner in bed and wait on her all the time. Wally told Marie "If she can spend all day in town you can sit at the table and eat your meals." Not long after Marie packed her bags and left moving to Scarborough to live with Bill, Jean and Children.

Marie spent her time between Scarborough and the Holy Spirit Hospital in Wickham Terrace. She spent quite a lot of time in hospital. She would come and go treating the hospital live a hotel at times - she suffered from hight blood pressure and hypertension. She didn't like the hospital food very much and had a friend Mr Stegman at Finnie's and Marie would get food sent up to her at the hospital.

Marie gave the impression of a well to do lady and was always well dressed and wore a cameo broach, as many did in those days. This broach is something you still remember about Marie. Hazel now has the broach

Marie lived with Bill at his Scarborough home until her death on 19th March 1962. Zena had just come out of hospital the day before Marie's died from another operation on her ear and had a chair to sit on at the grave side for the funeral. Years later when Bill's house at Scarborough was sold to the Catholic Church, Monsignor Frawley had Marie's room consecrated for his private chapel.

Bill went to the Solicitor to sort out Marie's affairs after her death and was told that his name was not mentioned in her will anywhere at all. He was devastated and hurt to think how he had cared for her all these years, had paid off her debts after Pop's death and supported her financially, given her a home for many years. This was typical of Marie's character She didn't always make things easy for you!"

End of story written by Hazel McMillan.


The Courier-Mail Wednesday 30 August 1933, page 4




(Not fully edited)

The entries at the Northgate District Industrial and Horticultural Society's monthly show totalled 887- a record in the metropolitan area. The monthly prize was won by Mrs. W. Wilkinson.

Awards :

ROSES (Judge, Mr. J. Soden).-Six (distinct colours), three (distinct colours), three, bud to full bloom, one pink, one full bloom, 8in. stem, one not provided for, one truss polyanthus rose: W. Wilkinson. One (red): Miss Betty North; one (white), Mrs. J. L. Coates; one garden rose, Mrs. M. Window; champion rose. Miss Betty North.

CUT FLOWERS (Judge, Mr. Grant Taylor).-One cut candytuft: A. Lever One cut cineraria: B. Collins. Two carnations, smooth edge: Mrs. J. L. Coates. Two carnations, fringed edge: Miss J. Davis. Three calendulas: J. W. Hobson. Three marigolds: W. Wilkinson. One spike delphinium: G. McGrath. Three spike dlanthus, double (distinct): Mrs. J. Box. Three spikes dianthus. single (distinct): G. McGrath. Six gerberas, red, six gerberas, light: W. Wilkinson. Three gerberas, light (distinct), best exhibition gerberas: G. McGrath. 3 gerberas, red (distinct): A. Laver. Two trusses geraniums, single (distinct), two trusses geranium, double (distinct), two trusses geranium, semi-double (distinct): W. Wilkinson. Six galllardlas, single, Mrs. F. Cochrane. Three galllardlas, double, W. Wilkinson. One spike gladiolus: Mrs. J. Box. Three spikes luplnB: Mrs. F. Cochrane. six pansies (distinct), R. Collins; three pansies (distinct), Mrs. J. H. Clapshaw; three trusses phlox, annual (distinct), W. Wilkinson; six Iceland popples (distinct),Mrs. F. Cochrane; three Iceland popples(distinct), Miss G. Marr; three popples, any other variety, W. Wilkinson; three ranunculi (distinct), H. D. Besly; one spike' stock, W. Wilkinson; three shastadaisies, Mrs. J. L. Coates; one spike Btatice, W. Wilkinson; six stems sweet peas, red, six, blue, Mrs. J. B. Clapshaw; six stems sweet peas, white, Mrs. F.Cochrane; six stems sweet peas, pink shades. Miss J. Davis; six stems sweet pea, flecked, P. H. Ronald; six stems sweet peas, any other shade, Mrs. J. H.Clapshaw; collection of 12 stems sweet peas (distinct), Mrs. F. Cochrane.

Champion sweet peas, Mrs. J. H. Clapshaw; three spikes snapdragon (distinct),Mrs. J. Richards; one bunch violets, Mrs. W. H. Smith; two arum Hiles, Mrs. F.Cochrane; three cut flowers (distinct,other than roses), collection of annual orperennials, G. McGrath; one flower, notprovided for, Mrs. J. Elms: one bulbousor tuberous flower, not provided for, Mrs,

J. D. Elchstadt; best exhibition flower,Mr. R. collins.

FLORAL WORK (Judge, Mrs. A. P.Blair).-Bowl of roses, own foliage, MissJ, Davis; bowl flowers, any foliage, J.Smolenskl; bowl Iceland popples, anyfoliage, Mrs. J. Richards; bowl sweet peas, any foliage. Miss J. Davis; bowl gerberas, any foliage, Mrs. J. L. Coates; seven roses, own foliage, Miss G. Marrivase flowers, any foliage, Mrs. J.Richards; vase Iceland popples, any foliage, Mrs. J.D. Elchstadt; vase sweet peas, any foliage, vase gerberas, any foliage. Miss J. Davis; presentation basket of flowers, Mrs. J. Smolenskl; bridal bouquet, Mrs.J. D. Elchstadt; lady's spray, Mrs. J. L.Coates; best exhibit in floral section, Mrs.J. Richards (bowl Iceland popples).

CHILDREN'S FLORAL WORK.-BowlHowers, any foliage, vase seven roses, own foliage, vase flowers, any foliage, NetaBox; vase Iceland popples, any foliage,Ruby Lover; vase sweet peas, any foliage, Gladys Andrews, vase gerberas, any follago,bunch wild flowers, Neta Box; gent's but-tonhole, Nita Box; lady'B spray, Gladys


POT PLANTS (Judge. Mr. J. Boden).Adlantum fern (maidenhair), in pot: Mrs.F. Holmes. Holly fern, In pot: W. H.Smith. Lycopodium fern, In pot: Mrs. H.F. Klumppe. Fern, In pot, any othervariety: J. W. Ingham. Hanging basket(maidenhair fern): J. Smolenskl. Hang-ing basket (any other fern) : J. W. Ingham.Hanging basket (other than fern): J.Smolensk! Foliage plant, Kentla palm,Palm any other variety, Dracena in pot:J. W. Ingham. Plant, in flower or berry:J. Smolenskl. Flowering begonia: Mr. HF. Klumppe. Primula, in pot: Mre. H. F.Klumppe. Orchid, in flower: J. Smol-enskl. Pot plant, for table decoration:J. W. Ingham. Best exhibition plant: J.Smolenskl (hanging basket Adlantum).

FRUIT AND VEGETABLES (Judge, Mr.W. H. Duffy).-French beans (20 pods):W. H. Smith. Peas (20 pods), onecabbage, two lettuce: Mrs. W, J.Harrison. Bunch radishes, three beet«

roots: Mrs. H. Williams. Three carrots:W. H. Smith. Three turnips, other thanswede: Mrs. H. Williams. Swede turnips:Mrs. W. Andrews. Tomatoes: J. Smol-enskl. Rhubarb: Mrs. W. Andrews. Onevariety of vegetable not provided for:Mrs. W. Andrews. Eschalots: Mrs. H.Williams. Herbs: W. H. Smith. Lemons,Lisbon: Mrs. T. Cochrane. Lemons, anyother variety: Mrs. J. Box. Oranges: Miss Betty North. Citrus fruits, any othervariety: S. Davis. Receptacle of fruit (one variety, other than citrus): Mrs. W. Andrews. Plate strawberries (12): Mrs. J.W. Harrison. Plate loquats (12): G.M'Grath. Custard apples: Mrs. J. D. Etchstad. Papaw: Mrs. H. Williams.

CAKES (Judge, Mrs. 3. W. Ingham).Sponge sandwich, -without butter, Victoria sponge: Mrs, J. Richards; seed cake, plate shortbread: Mrs. W. H. Bycroft. Appletarli (short pastry), plate Jam tarts (flaky pastry): Miss J. Dovis. Scones (unsweetened): Mrs. J. Neylan. Six sultana scones: Mrs. J. D. Elchstadt.

PRESERVES.-Bottle Seville marmalade: Mrs. W. H. Bycroft. Bottle any other marmalade: Mrs. J. Richards. Bottle Cape gooseberry Jam: Miss J. Davis. Bottle strawberry Jam: Mrs. D. Gamble. Bottle melon and lemon Jam, bottle loquat Jam: Mrs. J. Richards. Bottle Jam not provided for: Mrs. W. H. Bycroft. Bottle Jelly: Mrs. J. Richards. Bottle preserved citrus fruit: Mrs. J. Richards. Bottle preserved fruit (other than eltrus): Mrs. J. Elms. Bottle pickles: Mrs. J. Richards. Bottle papaw chutney: Mrs. W. J. Harrison. Bottle tomato sauce: Mrs. J. Richards.


Marie and her Grandchildren c1948/49


The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933-1954), Saturday 13 March 1954, page 20

Corporal William Henry Richards